Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First sign of rot to remove

Stonemasons made tremendous progress on setting up the brick veneer today. It looks really, really good.

Unfortunately we discovered that a beam under the old chimney was rotted too far to be useful. That beam was removed and will be replaced by dimensioned lumber. On the plus side, we'll get a few extra inches of width for the stairs going into the cellar. I guess I'll take it.

Decided today to move the washer and dryer space into the central closet and make the mud room a little more functional. I think this is a wise decision; won't have to carry laundry nearly as far, and there will be more room for the laundry area.

Jake and Nate found an old pepper shaker in between two pieces of baseboard in the stairwell. It looks to be a silver piece; really cool.