Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Remove the Roof

The foundation was poured in late February, the sill beams replaced with reclaimed lumber, and the smoke house lowered onto the new foundation. Rex Matlock did the masonry work again and did a great job veneering the foundation with some local stone.
The next big move was to replace the rotting top plate on the railroad side. This meant the roof would have to come off. When Chris and Simon removed it, they found that all of the rafters on the railroad side of the house were rotten and beyond re-use, so they removed it.
Looks a bit funny now, but I can't wait to see the end result. I also decided to replace the tin roof, which had rusted through in a few spots, with a cedar shake roof. Originally the smoke house had a pine shake roof, but it doesn't seem like you can get the same quality shakes these days. I am thrilled that Chris harvested some timber on the farm for the new rafters; that seems very appropriate.



No comments:

Post a Comment